Peanut butter cookies with a Hershey’s Kiss planted in the center are a holiday classic. Although I’m not really sure why – none of the ingredients seem all that Christmas specific.
Either way, I decided the tasty treats would be my first recipe this baking season.There are a variety of recipes out there for these cookies, all varying somewhat with the amounts and types of ingredients. Some call for more peanut butter or flour, and some add milk. It’d probably be pretty easy to experiment based on your tastes.
One recommendation: Don’t buy the holiday-themed Hershey’s Kisses. At least not at K-Mart. I went there this weekend and they wanted $5.59 for an 11-ounce bag of Kisses in the pretty red, silver or green foil. Even the store’s sale price was ridiculous – two bags for $8.
My ever-so-smart husband suggested I try the regular candy aisle. There I found a 12-ounce bag of Kisses in all silver wrappers for $2.50. Since the foil comes off for these cookies anyway, no need to spend the extra dough (haha, what a great pun).
I also made my cookies a little bigger than what the recipe called for. Mostly because the dough balls seemed small enough, but also because I was going to run out of Hershey Kisses if I made smaller cookies. They’re still delicious.
Recipe: Hershey’s Kiss Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from http://www.donogh.com/cooking/cookies/hershey.shtml
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup firmly-packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 48 Hershey® Kisses® chocolate candies, unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, and baking soda. Add butter and peanut butter and mix until smooth. Add sugars and beat until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Make balls out of level tablespoons of dough – add flour if needed. Roll in sugar.
- Bake 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add 1 kiss to the center of each cookie. Return to the oven and bake for 2 more minutes.
No related posts.