OK, everyone. I’ve found it – the perfect dessert for Thanksgiving.
Sure, many people think such a designation belongs to pumpkin pie. But this is better! It looks so elegant, is easy to slice and serve, and, best of all, it’s a cinch to prepare. It can also be made a couple of days ahead of time so you have one less dish to prepare that Thursday.
One big tip: be VERY generous with the flour and butter on the wax paper and baking pan AND with the powdered sugar on the towel. This cake will stick like no other. And other reviewers said to make sure the cake is cooked through, or it will stick to the towel.
Wait until the cake has cooled quite a bit before spreading the frosting on top, or you risk having it melt and ooze everywhere.
How did it taste? Like a perfect slice of fall. Plus cream cheese.
Recipe: Pumpkin roll
Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese,
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax paper. Grease and generously flour paper. Sprinkle a clean dish towel with powdered sugar.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and sugar in large mixer bowl until thick, about two minutes. Beat in pumpkin. Gently stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until top of cake springs back when touched. Immediately loosen and turn cake onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off wax paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on wire rack at least 15 minutes.
- Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla extract in small mixer bowl until smooth. Carefully unroll cake; remove towel. Spread cream cheese mixture over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
No related posts.