Just a few days until Super Bowl XLIV! Know what you’re serving your party guests yet?
If you’re looking for traditional but tasty, try out this chili recipe.
I modified it a bit from the original recipe, because there is no way I could have handled chili that called for 3 TABLESPOONS of chili powder, plus cumin and adobo chilies. My mouth burns just thinking about it. Don’t worry, even with my modifications this chili still has a kick.
And because I was shopping at Trader Joe’s a lot, I used their Cuban black beans instead of barbecue baked beans. I liked it better, but feel free to use whatever beans you like best.
Whip up a quick batch of cornbread and honey butter, and you’ve got yourself a perfect Super Bowl entree.
Recipe: Texas chili
Adapted from Bride and Groom First and Forever Cookbook
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2-3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes with puree
- 1 can (15 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) Cuban black beans or barbecued baked beans
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle chilies in adobe sauce
- Grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Chopped green onion
- Sour cream
- Crumbled corn chips
- Red pepper flakes
- Chopped jalapeno chilies
- Heat the oil in an 8-quart heavy-bottomed stockpot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the chili powder, paprika, cumin and oregano and stir until the spices are well combined.
- Add the ground beef, sausage and 1 teaspoon of salt. Increase the heat to medium-high and cook the meat, stirring frequently, until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- Adjust the seasonings with more salt or chipotle chilies if necessary. Serve with any or all of the suggested fixin’s.
No related posts.