Apr 11

Marsh Street Demolition








Need for more parking space spells doom for houses

January 4, 1968
French Hospital was the white painted brick building at the right. Built in 1911 as the San Luis Sanitarium, today Rob Rossi is restoring the old hospital but the houses that once filled the parking lot are long gone. The staff writer, Elliot Curry, does not mention any attempt to save the houses, the recycled building movement was years in the future. Drs. Edison and George French were the developers.

Today workmen salvage lumber and the walls are no longer painted white. At lower right: Sean Kain, left and Shane King move salvaged 2×6 douglas fir lumber at the site of the old French Hospital in the 1100 block of Marsh St. The building is being restored with a completion target of the end of this year. They are walking where the old houses used to be.

In other news this day Pismo Beach developers were submitting plans to subdivide 353 acres across Highway 101 from the Five Cities Shopping Center. (It is now the outlet mall.)

Related posts:

  1. Higuera Street 1963