Feb. 1943 special section of the Telegram-Tribune on the San Luis Obispo Elks.
The Elks lodge and Masons had a close relationship in their early days in San Luis Obispo. Long time Tribune editor Benjamin Brooks was a member in high standing with both organizations. The Masonic lodge being the more established organization allowed the Elks to meet at their hall then on Chorro Street. The Elks held their first meeting in San Luis Obispo in 1895 and were the eighth such lodge established in California.
When they built a new hall in 1912 at the corner of Morro and Marsh Streets (now site of Union Bank) a theater was built on the ground floor which became known as the Elmo. It was originally called the Elks Theater but the bylaws of the organization prohibited this type of activity and it was leased to a theater manager. During the First World War the basement was a cafeteria for troops and later it was converted to an archery range.
The Telegram-Tribune published a special section commemorating the history of the Elks on February 22, 1943.
- Masonic Temple in San Luis Obispo dedicated
- San Luis Obispo builds a City Hall on Higuera Street
- Monterey Street stories – San Luis Obispo
- New San Luis Obispo County Jail – World War II week by week
- A former San Luis Obispo fire chief visits