Tag Archive: Centurama

Sep 17

Palace Barber Shop

Palace barbershop in San Luis Obispo on Chorro St. circa 1912-13. ©The Tribune

Palace Barber Shop…This interior shot of an old San Luis Obispo landmark was taken sometime between 1912 and 1913. John Fourcade is the bootblack putting a high gloss on Louie Angellini’s shoes. Joe Rodrigues is the first barber, Oscar Lusi is the second barber and B. Johnson is the third barber. The fourth barber is …

Continue reading »

Aug 06

Oilport, before it was Shell Beach part-1

T-T-centurama-May-1956oilport

This story comes from the Centurama editions of the then Telegram-Tribune published May 14, 1954. Several 8 page special sections were published that month to celebrate the history of the county and the 100th anniversary of the incorporation of San Luis Obispo. Ill-Fated Oilport Refinery Operated for Only Two Weeks One of San Luis Obispo’s …

Continue reading »