Tag Archive: H.S. Rembaugh

Jun 28

July 4, 1877

Big doings planned for July 4 in the June 23, 1877 San Luis Obispo Tribune

In the backwater burg of San Luis Obispo, for many years after California became a U.S. state in 1850, holidays associated with Mexico were celebrated with more gusto than American holidays. It took a long time for Anglos to outnumber Mexican and Indian natives in the region. There was no gold, no major port and …

Continue reading »

Oct 31

Horatio S. Rembaugh takes over the Tribune

The Tribune has had competition for all but 8 of the over 140 years it has been published. As founder Walter Murray turned the reins of ownership over to his partner Horatio Southgate Rembaugh both wrote editorials reviewing the contentious early history of the paper. Murray’s column is linked here. Both the San Luis Obispo …

Continue reading »

Aug 28

Early days of the Tribune

The oldest commercial building in San Luis was constructed in 1873 for the Tribune by H.S. Rembaugh. It was originally at the corner of Morro and Higuera Street. ©Robert Dyer/Telegram-Tribune

From the first edition August 7, 1869 and for almost 8 years Horatio Southgate Rembaugh was the common thread in the management of the San Luis Obispo Tribune. Except for an unfortunate three-month interlude under the ownership of James J. Ayers, the Tribune would be associated with H.S. Rembaugh. Either as the announced owner, actual …

Continue reading »